Sunday, October 12, 2008

No More Pink Ribbons, Please!

Alright, I'll probably get blasted for this, but I don't care. I am sick to death of pink ribbons! Really, I can't take it anymore. I mean, yes, I understand that breast cancer is a nasty disease that kills women. I've lost several family members to cancer, so don't think I haven't been affected by it. And in the 80s one of my mom's friends died of breast cancer, which was basically a death sentence in those days. So I really understand how far we've come. Breast cancer awareness was critical because women were dying of it and it seemed like there was no research being done. But that has changed!

Breast cancer is still bad but it's a lot more treatable nowadays. And everyone knows about it. But it seems to have become some kind of cause celebre, where the whole concept of awareness and research has been replaced with trendy pink items. I can't walk into a fucking store anymore without seeing something in pink that swears it will support breast cancer research if I buy it. Sam's Club has an entire aisle at the front of the store dedicated to "pink" items such as Cheerios. Dyson even makes a fucking pink vacuum cleaner! I've read several articles about how people are burned out on tragedies, like Katrina, etc. and they just can't take anymore of it. That's how I feel about pink ribbons. I can't set foot outside my door without being inundated by pink awareness. ENOUGH ALREADY! I'm Aware!

There's a link on the side of my blog to Hello Kitty Hell. The author is married to a woman obsessed with everything Hello Kitty. His house is covered in all things Kitty. That's how I feel now. I'm in Pink Ribbon Hell.

No comments: