Tuesday, September 16, 2008

WTF: Now I'm pissed!

Okay, this has absolutely nothing to do with school, but I'm going to rant anyway. WTF happened to the price of meat!?! I don't mean the price hike from gas, etc. I'm talking about a different kind of problem. Many years ago, in a world before fajitas, skirt steak/flank steak/whatever was really freaking cheap. Then behold - the mighty fajita reached public consciousness and the price went up.

Last week on Good Morning America, they held a segment about how to save money in the kitchen. And they mentioned two of my favorite items: Tilapia and Chuck Roast. I have been eating tilapia since c. 1995, before it hit big. And my husband and I love to cook chuck roasts in our crock pot. Well, within a few days of that GMA segment, prices sky-rocketed. I don't have the exact price for tilapia, but I did note the price of chuck at our local grocery. Chuck used to be $2.29-$2.49 per pound. The new price of chuck? $4.19 per pound. What the fuck.

No comments: