Monday, January 14, 2008

First Day of School

Overall, went pretty well. One of my classes is in a normal-sized classroom, the other is about a third that size. It's got 60 desks in the classroom, and 60 students, and the desks are crammed in like you wouldn't believe. They give me this classroom every other semester which really sucks. But space is at a premium, let alone a freaking Smartroom, and as a teaching assistant I'm a spud. Spuds don't get top choice. Last semester I got a Smartroom for the first time EVER and it was like a dream.....ahhh..... Anyway, today went well. I'm not taking attendance this semester (one of my main changes) because I feel like I shouldn't have to be the kids' mother. This should cut my class size down to about half, if not a third. Yep, you heard me. About half the students won't show up because I'm not taking attendance and they don't want to be there. I'm teaching a required freshmen class that a lot of people hate. And of course the earlier the class time the fewer attendees.

Example: Average attendance out of a class of 60 students
7:30 20
8:30 25-30
9:30 30-35
10:30 40-50

That's based on my actual experience teaching at those times, and it's not just me. Fellow TAs have said about the same. And that was when I TOOK attendance. So this whole no attendance-taking policy could get interesting. I decided to do it because I'm tired of looking out and seeing people sitting there asleep, or reading a book, or trying to chat to their friend, because the only reason they are there is for the attendance bonus points. I'll keep you updated as to how this goes.

No comments: